While thinking of how I can share this new find for you Moms and Dads, I had to track back to the many times I had wished we had enrolled our whole family on a HMO or Health Maintenance Organization. Right before Wacky’s 1st birthday, he had dengue. We had no health card whatsoever, we ended up paying out of pocket and thanks to our families who supported us financially, we were able to get by.
There were also many instances that I would bring the kids to the emergency room when I am completely worrying about their fever but always end up being sent home because the doctor can’t find anything concerning about them. Do you know how much it cost to bring a child to the ER at St. Luke’s Global City for a check-up just to ease my mind? Between Php 2,000-3,000 per trip! And that’s just check-up, no laboratory or anything.
Being a stay-at-home Mom who sometimes freelance as a virtual assistant and web designer, I really don’t get benefits aside from the luxury of time wherein I get to choose when to accept work and when to work. I tried working in the BPO industry back in 2009 after graduation, and I really saw how they made sure that their employees get the whole package deal when it comes to benefits.
So I basically knew that choosing to work from home that not only will there be no assurance of stable income but also I would have zero benefits. Back then I was thinking that since I would be working from home, there wouldn’t be much hazard or health issues that I should be concerned about and I could just save some money for emergencies.
That kind of thinking would probably work for a single woman who can actually put aside money for savings and emergency use. But as a stay-at-home Mom about 80% of the time, I have realized that if I don’t have a stable income that meant that I won’t be able to regularly save whatever income I do get for emergencies.
I’ve inquired a couple of times on HMO plans for the family, but they were waaay out of our budget so we ended up having no HMO up until now.
I learned about the PhilCare ER Vantage Plus last year while I was shopping for HMO but wasn’t able to get one for the whole family.
PhilCare is one of the pioneering Health Maintenance Organization companies in the Philippines. They opened their first e-Commerce site for healthcare products back in 2014. They adapted the sachet-packaging or better known as tingi system (something we Filipinos are familiar with!) to make individuals and families like ours have better and greater access to healthcare. It was in 2016 that they launched their first online-exclusive product that fortified PhilCare as a technology-enabled company.
I’m so happy and relieved that we can now get healthcare plans without having to deal with the big premium payments but still have that coverage we need for emergencies. With just a few clicks and taps, I can buy a healthcare plan online for me, my husband and kids, activate it and be ready for use after 7 days.
PhilCare ER Vantage Plus is their online-exclusive product that no longer requires shipping of a physical card to the customer.
It is a one-time use healthcare benefit that covers emergency care and hospitalization. PhilCare is accredited in 500+ hospitals nationwide for viral and bacterial illnesses, treatment of injuries resulting from accidents (except for stroke) and gives Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefit of P50,000.
What does the ER Vantage Plus cover?
- Doctor’s fees
- Laboratory and diagnostic procedures
- Room and board
- Medicines (except vaccines) as medically necessary during confinement, except for cases declared as non-coverable
- Special modalities of treatment which are medically necessary during ER and confinement and subject to Php 5,000 limit.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic procedures as medically necessary during ER and confinement
An ER Vantage Plus health plan is valid for 1 year and PhilHealth is required for the availment of the card during hospital confinement. After you have used your ER Vantage Plus, you can repurchase another one. You can’t activate two cards at the same time though.
Why do I like the ER Vantage Plus?
- Buying ER Vantage Plus cards for the family and activating it via email is so easy.
- They provide high benefit limit for emergency care and hospitalization
- High Accidental Death and Disability benefit
- And there are no medical tests required to enrol for one!
ER Vantage Plus has 3 variants and tiered-pricing according to the age of enrolee:
ER Vantage Plus 40
Adults – Php 1,050
Kids – Php 2,950 (6 month old up to 17 years old)
Benefit Limit: Php 40,000
Room & Board: Ward
ER Vantage Plus 60
Adults – Php 1,350
Kids – Php 3,950 (6 month old up to 17 years old)
Benefit Limit: Php 60,000
Room & Board: Semi-Private
ER Vantage Plus 80
Adults – Php 1,750
Kids – Php 4,950 (6 month old up to 17 years old)
Benefit Limit: Php 80,000
Room & Board: Regular Private
You may find their list of accredited hospitals here and Frequently Asked Questions. Note that premium hospitals such as St. Luke’s Global City, St. Luke’s Quezon City, Makati Medical Center, Cardinal Santos Medical Center and The Medical City are not included. You can opt for the Health Luxe if you prefer to seek medical care at these hospitals.
How to Get Your ER Vantage Plus
1. Go to PhilCare’s online shop here.
2. Choose ER Vantage Plus from the Products menu.
3. Choose the ER Vantage Plus product perfect for you or your family.
4. Upon checkout, you have the option to pay using your debit or credit card via dragonpay, over-the-counter or via online transfer.
5. Once purchase and payment is confirmed, PhilCare will automatically send you an email containing the registration details (voucher number, serial number and PIN code) and the registration link.
6. Once registered, you will receive your ER Vantage Plus coucher with the unique certificate number (this is your identification number as a PhilCare member), validity period and the complete product details.
7. Your ER Vantage Plus is activated and valid 7 days from registration date.
8. Once validated, it is now ready for use!
I’m so glad somebody finally thought about making it easier for individuals and families to get healthcare on our own! No fuss about medicals, no worrying about annual/semi-annual/quarterly premium payments or anything. I can even gift this to our family and yayas so they have medical insurance too!
Let me know on the comments below what you think about PhilCare’s ER Vantage Card!